The Charity Commission this week issued new guidance on trustees’ responsibilities, called The Essential Trustee.
The Essential Trustee follows on from a consultation exercise last autumn and covers the six main areas of a trustee’s role:
- ensure your charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- comply with your charity’s governing document and the law
- act in your charity’s best interests
- manage your charity’s resources responsibly
- act with reasonable care and skill
- ensure your charity is accountable
Coming at the end of a week where the government has announced it will be adding new regulations to the Protection of Charities Bill to tighten up on charity fundraising it makes essential reading for anyone who is a trustee or is considering becoming one.